Friday, January 19, 2007

What do I do?


Sometimes I wonder just what my job as a United Methodist Minister is exactly. I know God called me to proclaim His Truth, but sometimes I wonder just what that looks like on a daily basis. My "go to" Scripture reference for when this question rises to the surface is Ephesians 4:11-13 where Paul says, So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

I was reading a sermon by John Piper today and this is what he said: "My job is to glorify Jesus Christ by calling his people to be distinctively Christian in the way they live their lives." That resonates with me.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rev. Kev,

What part of Ohio do you live in? Near Cincinnati?

Rev.Kev said...

Yes, Cinci is the closest Urban area to us.
Pax,
Rev.Kev

John said...

To make disciples who can replicate more disciples on their own.

John Wesley said...

Dear and Gentle Reader,

Your reflection on your role as pastor is heartening, as it is indicative of real spiritual growth.

Since I last had the pleasure of visiting ye, I have had many thoughts upon ye and your work in this, our online community. Keep hold the faith and continue to run the race! We will praise God for what he has done through your ministry and I cherish your willing spirit and compassion.

Who knows but it may please God to make ye an instrument in His glorious work? In effecting an union among the labourers in His vineyard? That He may direct and bless you in all your steps is the prayer of my heart.

Your affectionate and obedient servant,
JW