Friday, August 04, 2006

Church: And Those Who Don’t Go…


I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and he asked me what it was like being a preacher. I confessed to him (and now all of you) that it is the weirdest job I could have imagined. I also told him I can’t imagine myself doing anything else. However, sometimes I do get frustrated. Frustrated that there are people who don’t come & worship with us. I am frustrated because I know there are people all around us who are lost and hurting. People who are lonely, poor, and defeated. I am frustrated because I know that people are turning to drugs, alcohol, sex, and consumerism to try and fill a void in their lives that they can’t even define. I am frustrated because I know what they are missing—I mean I know Who they missing. But because I am human, sometimes I don’t represent Jesus the way He deserves. God deserves our best. God, the creator of the universe, wants a relationship with us—every human being who will respond to the invitation to an abundant life in God’s reality. Donald Miller in his book Blue Like Jazz, says, “believing in God is as much like falling in love as it is like making a decision. Love is both something that happens to you and something you decide upon” (104). Let’s help each other present our faith this way instead of as a long list of do’s and don'ts. I think more people will be interested in what we have say if we do. Do I know exactly what this will look like as a community of believers? Not yet!
Rev.Kev

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark 1:3

Rev.Kev said...

Thanks, m, I do feel like I am out in the wilderness sometimes...I wonder...does anyone here my cry...AmI "crying" what the Lord wants?

Anonymous said...

Did John ask?

John 20:15-17

Anonymous said...

errata

John 21:15-17

Rev.Kev said...

I don't know...What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I believe that John was resolute in his faith, and that the echo of his cries were heard in the generations preceding his time.
Isaiah 40:3

I further believe that those who are called to proclaim the Word will find the path lit before them.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Luke 10:23-24