Thursday, July 13, 2006

Running the Race of Faith: What I learned from a flying pig.

On May 7th of this year I did something I never thought I would--I ran a marathon--the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, OH!
Now I didn't break any land-speed records, and I didn't qualify for the Boston Marathon, but I finished (4 hours 29 minutes). I ran as part of "Team in Training," which is part of the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. Basically, they helped me get ready to finish the marathon & I helped them by raising money for LL Society ($1650). It was a great experience, and I will probably never run a marathon again. The run was great, but the lessons I learned were greater...In Hebrews 12:1 it says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us." I was reflecting on this while I was running this morning and I realized that faith is more like an endurance contest and less like a speed contest. I confess that throughout most of my life I have treated faith like a series of sprints. I get all fired up and I run full bore for a very short distance, then I have to stop and catch my breath. What I have learned from the flying pig is that I should have a training plan instead of simply sprinting until I collapse. I learned to rejoice in the process of gradual improvement (sanctification?). I learned that the "training" is easier with friends (like my friend John in the picture). I learned a new rhythm to my breathing--when I felt like my heart rate was getting too high I would take a deep breath thinking "Jesus in" hold for a couple of seconds then let it out thinking "Kevin out." I usually do that in threes, it seems to work for me and keeps me centered on Christ when I run. I learned that having goals is a powerful motivator--I was training to finish a marathon (26.2 miles) and I raised money to help with blood cancer research. I learned that having mentors/coaches increases that likelihood of success geometrically. What better way could there be to get somewhere in your journey than to learn from someone who has already been there? Last, but not least, I learned that I can complete what I set out to complete if I rely on God and my brothers & sisters in Christ. That's what I learned from a flying pig.
Grace & Peace,
Rev.Kev



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have a pretty good start. How about a little news about the churches you are pastoring? You know, what they are doing, youth, different ministries some history of them and so on and yours also. I was really interested when you gave the sermon about your having been to Africa. People reading your blog will probably find it interesting.

I was surprised to see that you were showing your astrological sign. I would have tyhought of thas a no-no for a pastor.

Anyway, it looks like a good start so have fun. (jokes wouldn't hurt any).

Rev.Kev said...

Thanks Bill. I didn't add the Astrological sign it kinda popped up from the questionaire for my profile. I am going to figure out how to get rid of it. Your suggestions are very helpful, thanks.

Connor Graham & Grace said...

I like it, skinny boy. I'm just jealous of your new running skills. But not so much that I'll be signing up anywhere anytime soon. That'll only happen when pigs... never mind.

scott s.

Rev.Kev said...

I got rid of the astrological "stuff" by deleting my birthday from my profile. Thanks for checking this blog out Bill & Scott. My plan is to rant and/or revere at least once a week.

Grace & Peace,
Rev.Kev

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Love and miss you all..